Monday, August 20, 2007

A fool and her money are soon parted...

Two weeks ago I decided to buy a camera. I didn't want to invest too much so I searched high and low on ebay for something that is "pheng and leng" (ok my Cantonese sucks!) . In Hokkien we say, "Phee n Chee".....sorry that didn't come out right either. Anyway, I chanced upon this nameless camera on sale which advertised itself as 12m in resolution and comes complete with video etc. Of course knowing next to nothing about cameras, I fell for it, hook, line and sinker. So you can imagine how excited I was when a package arrived for me last week. I tore open the box, took out the camera (felt like Christmas) and then realized that it weighed less than some of the beaded necklaces I make....not only is it light but it looks like one of those cameras you use and then discard. Still one must have hope! And no one can beat me in the "hope" category (still hoping that people will believe me when I say I am 28 ++ ha ha ha) So I fitted in the memory card and began to take shots around the house.....needless to say my phone camera works better. So what is the moral of this story? I'd like to hear from you.

6 comments:

Wandernut said...

Oh no! Sounds like a case of 'penny wise pound foolish'... kesiannnn! Hahahaha! Certain things like cameras, you usually get what you pay for laa.

If it's really cheap, "bin dou yao gom dai jek gap lar chui gai tiew?" comes to mind, which translated from Canto means "where got big pigeon jumping everywhere?"... which to put it simply, "there's no such thing as a free meal". Hahaha!

Why don't you put that camera back on eBay and see if you can catch a water-fish to buy it! :D

... said...

The moral of the story is...

Always refer to your daughter or son-law-to-be before making purchases from ebay (especially electronic goods!).

Tsk..tsk..tsk...when will you ever learn?

Hee hee!

Anonymous said...

Haaahha.... If we want "tua teh & pang ghee..... this is what we'll get.
Guess for electronic goods, you have to see it, feel it and then commit.
Poor you...nvm lah, your "new toy" will keep you busy for now.

Hugs,
Mak Ee

Anonymous said...

An educated consumer is usually one with proper expectations..

On your next attempt, please note the following:

1. Megapixels - usually ranging from 3.2MPs to 12MPs (clarity of the picture taken)

2. Optical Zoom - How much you can focus in.

3. Digital Zoom - How much the soft copy of the photo can be focused on.

4. Memory card - make sure it's at least 2G by today's standard.

5. Casing, pouch, batteries, charger, etc. (sometimes the other stuff matter)

6. Does it have the traditional and panel type viewing screen?

Questions to ask yourself:

1. How long am I holding on to this?
2. Do I need something mid range or really good?
3. Am I among the 99% who just basically hold it up, make sure everything is in, then snap?

And please, if you are 28++ and older, consult with one of your children.

Sincerely yours,

D a.k.a Big Baby
(One of your children)

... said...

Haha! Well said, Ko!

See mum? I'm so tempted to say "I told you so!" but I won't...

E (another one of your children)

lyn said...

To all those who shared their wisdom with me.....thank you. I really should know better than to invest in a camera on ebay, especially one which is nameless. The only consolation is that its cheap but like wandernut said, there is no such thing as a free meal. I will stick to beads and leave all "tua teh" and "pang gee" stuff to my kids....since they will be smart enough not to do what I do. Bet it feels good to say "I told you so" right?????